07 February, 2009

The last quote I wrote about was back in October! The church hasn't come up with one I like until now! This one is also a pretty hard one. Reading it makes it sound so easy, but putting it into practice is so hard sometimes!!
"Spend time counting your blessings rather than adding up your troubles!"

This has to be an intentional choice. I don't think counting our blessings instead of complaining is worked into our human sinner DNA! I don't think having a pity party was acceptable anywhere in the bible! I am guilty having a pity party from time to time! I think we will gain a lot more perspective and live a much happier life if we become " glass half full" kind of people! Maybe it will rub off on others-- especially our kids. I can't tell you the number of times I hear my kids complaining about what they didn't get or didn't get to do that day. I then have to point out to them what they DID do and what they DID get!


The old hymn says, "count your many blessings- name them one by one!" So, today I CHOSE to count my blessings and NAME them one by one!!


1. my kids are healthy
2. my husband is healthy
3. I am healthy
4. I have a relationship with Jesus that is oh, so sweet
5. I have a roof over my head that isn't in foreclosure as of now
6. my husband has a job in this economy
7. I can still stay at home with my baby
8. I have groceries in my fridge/pantry
9. I have lights, air, and heat
10. My car gets me where I need to be
11. I have health care-- may be crappy sometimes, but imagine the bill if I didn't have it at all
12. My parents are still with us alive and well
13. I have some pretty awesome girlfriends that I dont' know what I would do without
14. we have a really sweet dog that is great with the kids (we used to have the dog from you know where)
15. I have a hubby that says divorce is NOT an option
I could go on and on!!


My goodness, I am blessed over and over! I challenge you to think this one out too. It does wonders to write them down! Count your blessing one by one!! When the devil grabs you into a pity party, start naming your blessings!

6 Comments:

  1. He & Me + 3 said...
    We have really been working hard with the kids on being content in whatever situation they are in...finding the good in all. It is a battle somedays, but it is worth it...
    Great quote.
    Julie said...
    How true. It is always so easy to look at all of the bad things that happen and take the good stuff for granted. I catch myself on that one all the time. Also, think of how many people out there would love to trade places with you! It is humbling to learn about the struggles of others.
    Country Mouse, City Mouse said...
    Excellent reminder. I really enjoyed your list. I need to make a list as well.
    Valarie Daly said...
    How often we tend to put our focus on the things that we don't have or maybe on our many struggles. It is such a sweet reminder to count our BLESSINGS and name them one by one to see how richly blessed we really are! Thanks for your post and your list!
    Valarie Daly said...
    How often we tend to put our focus on the things that we don't have or maybe on our many struggles. It is such a sweet reminder to count our BLESSINGS and name them one by one to see how richly blessed we really are! Thanks for your post and your list!
    Largaespada Family said...
    LOVE IT and need to make my list!

Post a Comment