05 January, 2009

The next step in our "jog down memory lane" starts.... Since I had the miscarriage I was very anxious about finding out about this new baby. I wanted to make sure that he/she was okay. I just wanted to see a heartbeat! So, my OB had me do a very early ultrasound. Boy was that a bad move! Well, I did get to see the heartbeat. The relief shot through my body like a freight train which then that freight train hit me in the stomach with fear, denial, anxiety and a "what the heck?" There were TWO! Two babies! I thought the Lord was being funny at first, but then I thought He was giving me back the baby I had lost.

What am I going to tell my husband? Oh, my mom will be thrilled. Wholey Cow, how am I going to do this? At this time my kids were 9 and 6. They can help! It won't be so bad. I can do this... gulp!! I didn't think I would go from 2 to 4 in the blink of eye! Since I was listed as high risk, I had to get ultrasounds frequently. The next one was in two more weeks!

In the meantime, we had called a family meeting to tell the kids about the baby/potential babies. My princess was beyond excited. My son... started to cry, got up, yelled "this meeting is over" and stormed out of the room. Imagine my mouth dropping. Then imagine his reaction when I said it may be 2 babies. WOW... My boy has panic/anxiety problems to begin with. He doesn't like change. It takes him a while. That is another wonderful reason the Lord gives us 9months.

That next ultrasound shook me to the core. Baby A was doing great and right on target. Baby B wasn't developing at the same pace. We needed another ultrasound in another week. That week's ultrasound set the pace for the next 9 months. Baby B had no heartbeat and was developed 3 weeks behind baby A. So we were now back to one Baby. I was okay with this. I had a indescribable peace. Now I was just focused on the best way to get Baby A here safely. So what will become of Baby B? Here is the next devastating thing. Both babies were sharing the same placenta. If Baby B doesn't just absorb into the body, it will attempt to abort. That process will take the placenta with it,Thus taking my precious baby A with it. We would need another ultrasound in another week to determine the fate of both babies. That week was terror, torture, and nauseating. I came home with the ultrasound picture in hand and met my friend at Starbucks for a good cry! What was the Lord doing to me?

My final ultrasound- until week 22 -was a breath of fresh air. Baby B had absorbed. Baby A is right on target and the hearbeat is strong. What a fighter!! (I look at "monkey" today and thank her for fighting so hard!!) I ran home to tell everyone that we were having a baby. My son was so happy to hear that it was ONE baby! Now just to get over the sex hurdle!! We found out that "monkey" was a girl. We were all there for the ultrasound. My princess again was exstatic! My boy didn't have an emotion. I think he secretly was happy for the girl. He wouldn't have to share his room. :o)


Things were going well. Then I had the sugar test. I failed... another hurdle! I had gestational diabetis. I didn't have it with my other two. I had to go to the hospital to take a class and meet with a nutrionist. I was not happy. I hate diets. This was also right around thanksgiving and christmas! Hello... I sat in my car after my class completely overwhelmed and in tears. I knew I had to do this to make my baby healthy. So , I picked myself up, sucked it up, started reading labels ,and followed the diet. I had to test 4 times a day everyday. My numbers were good so the doctor kept weaning me off of test times. I kept my #'s down and was feeling pretty good. UGH, what a ride. For two previous term pregnancies that were problem free and a breeze, this was crazy!

I know the Lord had His hand in every detail. He formed "monkey" the very best way. He was teaching me things throughout the journey. One big thing I learned... I can't control everything. That was really hard to hear for this control freak! I also actually learned how to eat better for myself. I planned on keeping up the diet to a degree after the birth.

Almost there!! Next post will be of my baby shower!! Oh, I love baby showers!!

16 Comments:

  1. He & Me + 3 said...
    What a neat post. Thank you for the history....but at first I thought you were pregnant again.
    Lori said...
    wow that would be hard to deal with... you certainly are strong and your life has made you stronger!
    Amy B said...
    Oh My...I saw this and thought..wow I did not know she was pg and she kept it a secret..Ha..just goes to show I need to read and not just look at the cute as heck pictures..
    Dearest Jessica said...
    Monkey is such a fun blessing. We never know what the Lord has in store for us. I am enjoying your trip down memory lane. It was and is a joy watching you on this journey. As you know she was worth the wait! These little ones that I know their mama's prayed and begged for have a special place in my heart.
    Love ya!
    Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...
    I love the trip down memory lane. Thought that trip was kind of scary. I've had 3 miscarrigages and I can relate to them not being any fun. But I have 3 beautiful children as well.
    Hugs to you.
    Kim
    AmberW said...
    I love this post!
    What a blessing indeed... the journey of life can be so stressful at times but look at the rewards that we are given in the end!!!
    Great post :)
    More Than Words said...
    Wow...what a roller coaster, to say the least! You know, when we go through trials, it really makes us see that we are not in control, but yet God will still give us His peace!!!

    What a miracle!!!
    Debra Kaye said...
    Kelly,

    I am loving learning how God made "Monkey".

    Happy Monday, my sweet friend.
    Mikki said...
    What an amazing testimony! I love reading how God takes such gentle care of all His creation.
    gina said...
    Wow, what a brutally honest post. It 's so nice of you to share your thoughts- you might give strentgh or hope to someone else. It's also nice to have a journal of these mometns.
    Steph at Problem Solvin' Mom said...
    What a ride! I love this post, thanks for sharing!
    Lo said...
    BLESS your Heart! I'm keeping you and your sweet family in my prayers. I'm going to check in often. Thanks for my Saucy visit. Come on by anytime!
    McCrakensx4 said...
    What a great journey...you have me...keep going!
    Michaelle said...
    I had gestational diabetes too. I was testing 4 times a day and taking insulin. AND I was starving!!!
    Everyday Mom Designs said...
    This was a great story. Sounds like you had a rough time, but of course the reward is well worth it. :)
    DanielleW said...
    I still remember the email to pray for this situation.

    (I'm really enjoying this trip down memory lane. I've had all these posts "starred" for a while but I do read them all as they come out. I guess that could be looked at as the down fall of google reader. I'm not forced to respond right away)

Post a Comment