12 December, 2008

Poor "Monkey"!!

It has been a long and exhausting couple of days! My poor "monkey" is sick! She has been terribly congested and has had a deep chesty wet cough since Monday. For the past two nights, she hasn't slept well. Then last night she started to "wheeze" when she breathed. It has only been accompanied by a low grade temperature, but it just really makes me nervous when it comes to breathing. My older daughter had had pneumonia this past year and was to the ER as an infant for croup. So, on to the Dr. we go!! He could hear her wheezing right away and didn't like it. The Dr. said she sounds fine in the lungs so far. BUT, with little ones upper respiratory stuff tends develop into other things that we would rather not deal with. He said she more than likely has the starting stage of RSV .

My Dr. is very proactive and decided that we needed to relax and open those air passages so she can get some relief, sleep, and fight this virus. So he sent me home with a prescription for medicine to a nebulizer. He then had the office fax my insurance company to have a local vendor deliver a nebulizer unit to my house. I had the unit in my living room within 5 hours!!


He said just use it as needed to give her a little comfort and easier breathing. If a higher fever develops then I am to call him since he is on call this weekend! I hope this helps. Poor girl (and me) needs some sleep! I HATE to watch my kids suffer!! She is in good spirits though. She really is such a happy girl!!

Anyway, the nebulizer is quite an experience for her. She isn't too sure what to think! At first she tried to "lick" the mist that was coming up and then tried to bite the mask! I gave her a treatment before bed, so I pray she sleeps for the whole house's sake!! Here's to pleasant dreams and coughless nights!!

She didn't like it around her head, so we took it off and just held it up to her face.

12 Comments:

  1. He & Me + 3 said...
    Poor Baby! Stuntman develops a cough all the time for no reason & has to have a breathing treatment. They say it is to early to call it Asthma...but I hate that he gets that terrible cough out of nowhere. Hope she is feeling better soon. I will pray for her.
    Dearest Jessica said...
    That is aweful poor thing!

    Hope she feels better soon!
    Everyday Mom Designs said...
    Aww, poor baby! I hope you both get some sleep. It seems as if it is much needed everywhere right now.. haha.. We'll see how tonight goes.. I'd do anything for 5 hours of uninterrupted sleep..
    Debra Kaye said...
    Kelly,

    How I remember that sound! Josh struggled with asthma conditions as a baby and we rushed many times to the ER.

    Hopefully the nebulizer will open her airways and she will get some relief.

    I will be praying for both of you. Can I do anything else to help?

    Please email me at
    mercuryd2@yahoo.com if you need me to do anything. I'm not that far from you sweet one.

    Hugs to you!
    Kim said...
    I hope she feels better soon.
    Valarie Daly said...
    I am so sorry she is sick. Rachelle had croup a bunch when she was younger. We ended up having to do the same thing with the nebulizer. It sure is scarey when your little one is struggling for every breath. I will be praying for you both.
    More Than Words said...
    Aww!! I'll be praying for your little one!!

    Those nebulizers work really fast. We ended up getting one too from our insurance because I had to take my youngest one in when she was breathing weird. At first I wasn't sure how she would respond to the albuterol (they say kids can get hyper), but her body took to it well.

    HUGS!!
    luvmy4sons said...
    I used to work at Children's Hopstial. RSV is not anything to mess around with. Your little girl is so cute. Thanks for stopping by my blog!
    Cassie - Homeschooling Four said...
    Poor thing! That does not look fun.
    McCrakensx4 said...
    Poor baby...I hope she feels better soon.
    gina said...
    Oh poor thing! Hope she gets well soon!! Nebulizers aren't fun but they are necessary evil. They work best when you use them every 4 hours consistently until she is completely better. But I'm sure they told you that- I just hate to stand by, useless, when little ones are sick. :(
    Jill said...
    Poor girl! I will say a prayer for her tonight!
    Hugs, Jill

Post a Comment