30 October, 2008

A living biography!

When my boy brought home an assignment from school labeled, "living biography" I had no idea that it would be this involved! However, I also had no idea what we would learn!! The kids had to pick a person from history that was a risk taker or made some significant contribution to our nation. They then had to write a page essay about their life, accomplishments, and risks they took! Then the living part!! They then had to prepare a minute long monologue to deliver to the class to summarize their essay, but had to do it dressed up as the character they chose! How cool!! To be sitting in their classroom looking at all these "people" from history, and hear about them from "them" would be really cool!! I can't wait to hear all about it!

My boy picked Benjamin Franklin! How in the world am I going to make a costume for him? I don't sew! I had to improvise! Ben Franklin was living during a period that I certainly don't have any clothes to resemble. (not to mention I had to come up with this in about 2 days!) So his shirts, pants, and vest. I made a collar out of construction paper for him. He wore my dress shoes. His glasses fit the character very well. We got a costume hat w/ grey hair on it and cut out the hair . I stapled the hair to a shower cap to give the illusion of a bald head w/ a little bit of hair! We made a kite attached to a coat hanger with a key hanging from it for his prop! His comment... " mom, I look rediculous!" I think he looks the part. He realized that most of the kids in his class will look rediculous too!! That made him feel better! :o) I think it is a great learing tool!! Very creative and fun!! Enjoy the pics of my Benjamin Franklin!






He will be very happy to get out of this costume and into his "halloween" costume Friday night!!

5 Comments:

  1. Julie said...
    Too cute! He looks just like Ben Franklin. It looks like a fun assignment.
    Largaespada Family said...
    Absolutely Awesome!!! I love it!
    Cassie - Homeschooling Four said...
    He looks awesome!! You are a very creative mom. I don't think I could've come up with that so quick.
    Debra Kaye said...
    Kelly,

    This is a great way to learn and you did a great job. A lot of the charter schools devote an entire month to a renaissance theme and they dress in the medieval garb and speak to one another as ladies and gentleman and such....it really 'sets' it into their minds.

    I know it certainly would mine!

    PS...Your Ben Franklin is precious!
    Kelly said...
    You are so creative! These are great pics!

Post a Comment