16 February, 2009

What is a mom to do?

I am getting so tired of hearing my kids fighting, talking nasty to each other, yelling at each other, and plain just not respecting each other!! Especially my girl, ugh... the venom that comes out of the sweet mouth. I am sure a lot of you are in the same boat. With hubby out of town too, the good ole' "Wait until your father gets home!" just won't work considering he won't be home for a week! I want them to speak to each other in love, show love, and love on each other. They don't realize that they will be siblings for life. Friends will come and go , but your siblings are there for life whether you like it or not. SO.....

How do I go from this:

To this?

It hit me as I was driving home for Publix today... I just bought 4 big bags of hershey's kisses. (I got 3 of them for free , BTW!!) What to do with them without them adding more junk in my trunk! I will use them to teach love.

SO.... I poured 2 of the bags into a bowl and labeled it the "LOVE BOWL"! I sat the kids down and explained the rules of this new "game" to them. Each time someone does something for the other person out of love or speaks with love in their voice, the person who received the "love" can go to the "love bowl" and give the person a "kiss"! This will teach the kids to listen for love and recognize when someone is being loving vs. nasty. In return they will feel the warm feeling of giving when they bestow a kiss on the other person. Because it is the receiver who makes the choice to give them a kiss, the person giving the love never knows if or when he/she will get a kiss , but to keep doing it. ( I did tell them that they had to ask me first before eating their kisses, in case they had saved up some right before dinner... )

I sat there in amazement making lunch and listening to the conversation turn on a dime. They were saying, " no , you may choose the first piece." " May I get you some yogurt while I get mine!" It was awesome to see not only the joy in the lover getting a kiss, but the receiver smiling when he plopped down that kiss in her hand. Who knows how long this will last? I am hoping that after doing this for a while , it will become a habit of loving in our house and no chocolate will be required!

(I am really behind on reading posts and commenting, but I will get there!

Thanks for stickin' with me!!)

images by: photo.net and jbfsale.com

11 Comments:

  1. McCrakensx4 said...
    Oh, I am with ya sista! I just want to pull my hair out sometimes with the things that come outta their mouths. I may haveta borrow your great idea, b/c what kid doesn't like kisses?! Let us know how it is working...I am very intersted...
    Brandi said...
    LOVE this idea!! Do you think mine are too young for this? I'm thinking Brayden would get it. . but maybe not the littles? What do you think?

    Brandi
    Lori said...
    don't you love moments like that when you say... why didn't I think of this before? the whole caught you being good thing is a great way for children to look at life in a more positive way and hey if they get candy out of it then that's a bonus
    Jackie Sue said...
    how cute is that! keep us posted on how this works out. i will be so curious.
    He & Me + 3 said...
    You are not alone...I am loving this post. Great idea my friend.
    Mikki said...
    What a great idea! So glad it is working for you!!! I love when moments like that happen!!
    Largaespada Family said...
    AH! Great idea! And cute choice of generic pics...it made me "feel" the post!!!
    Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...
    Great idea! Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Chocolate solves so many problems. If only the world would grasp onto this concept! LOL.
    Big hugs my friend.
    Kim
    Mozi Esme said...
    What a great idea!
    Shannon said...
    Great idea!!! Let us know how it goes.
    Shannon said...
    Great idea!!! Let us know how it goes.

Post a Comment